Message 00518: Re: nyt

On Jan 27, 2009, at 4:41 PM, Aaron Swartz wrote:

yup. i certainly don't have my hopes up or anything.

good. people go really psycho when press is involved. you should have seen me bring network news onto the Interop show floor the first time, not to mention when AP sent a photographer to cover the IETF. some of the worst flames of my life are people who hated how some reporter talked about them or didn't talk about them ...

Schwartz seems to have put some real time into this one though. I'm hopeful. Could sure use a break.

So ... not meaning to pry, what are you doing post-watchdog? Are you trying to get a job in Washington, either inside .gov or perhaps in a think tank or other thing or even as a self-employed independent (the latter being the job I held most of my time there, btw)?

You could probably do a decent miracle subcontractor gig in DC, way better than Blue State. Wouldn't even have to move there to do that and could work on a project basis.

Or, you could try for a tech fellow gig someplace ... I'm sure Podesta would give you an interview, though they are fairly strange. Just thinking out loud.

No matter which way you go, I hope you put some time into giving watchdog a long-enough runway to be able to take off or at least crash land with no injuries.

Carl