Message 00138: Re: pacer and lollapalooza

On Jul 25, 2008, at 5:01 PM, Aaron Swartz wrote:

Makes sense. Thanks again for all your help with this.

np. remember, my advice is free and you get what you pay for. :)) there are lots of ways to skin this cat and a lot of it is personal style.

btw, got two updates on your postal data, one for each product. evidently this is a monthly deal.

unfortunately, i'm out the door 6am tomorrow on a 5,000 mile road trip (igotf.org plus stops to see state officials in montana, wyoming, dakotas, idaho), so your two discs will have to wait until I get back and we can figure out how to pass this data privately to you ... just be aware that they update the stuff monthly when you start writing your loading routines.

my preference on the usps data is that we "extract the facts" rather than just publish what they have wholesale. so, we both need to spend a bit of time with it and figure out what kind of a transform it is we end up making available to others on the net. we'll have a stronger case in the courts with that approach than a simple rip and upload job. I know they are an instrumentality of the united states, but they have serious volume selling this stuff and i'd prefer the extra degree of indirection of having extracted the factual data.

let me know what you think when you've had a chance to look at it ...

Carl