Message 00827: Re: ithaka

there is a growing movement trying to rationalize "community access models"
which is different in their mind from "open access" because in community access
only club members get the resources. the result is a lot of content is taken
"off the market" because the providers think they have already made it public
in a manner of speaking. To me, groups like JSTOR suck the oxygen out of the
room for funding other efforts, deepen the digital divide.

I have similar issues with Hathi Trust, LLMC (the law library microform
consortium), CRL in Chicago, and a few others.

Brewster and I both girding up to go fight on this so-called digital public
library of america to make sure things like Hathi Trust are not considered
models of open.

My biggest issue right now is that efforts to digitize a GPO FDLP library keep
getting swept up in empire-building by groups like Hathi, making it hard to
assemble the coalition to make this happen because everybody trying to get
theirs. Pissing me off.