Message 00793: COICA

Hi, Carl. Congrats on the Google grant -- they definitely picked the
right recipient!

Perhaps Becky mentioned it to you, but I'm trying to rope together
people to speak out against this COICA bill and TimBL suggested I
contact you. I don't know if you've been following it, but basically
Hollywood is trying to rush through a bill (it was introduced less
than a week ago and the vote is scheduled for Thursday) that would
have the Attorney General create a blacklist of domain names that US
ISPs would be prohibited from resolving DNS for. It'd bypass DMCA
safe-harbor provisions and let the government take down any domain
where copyright or trademark infringement was "central to the
activity" of the site.

Would you be willing to have your name attached to a petition like this?

PETITION TO THE SENATE: Censoring the Internet is something we'd
expect from China or Iran, not the U.S. Senate. You need to stop this
Internet blacklist in its tracks and oppose S. 3804.

Let me know soon -- I want to get the word out tomorrow.

Thanks -- and all the best,
 -- Aaron