Message 00702: Re: gpo whines

heh.

hey, at least they're trying to work with you ... they could have just called the fbi. :)

Carl

On Apr 14, 2009, at 5:17 PM, Aaron Swartz wrote:

You didn't hear this from me....

Subject: [Info] Follow-up on heavy volumes of access to GPO's Catalog
of Government Publications (CGP)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:27:02 -0400
From: Priebe, Teddy J. <xxxxxxx@gpo.gov>
To: <info@archive.org>, "Brewster Kahle" <xxxxxxx@archive.org>
CC: Hall, Laurie B. <xxxxxxx@gpo.gov>, Resler, Linda M. <xxxxxxx@gpo.gov>

Good Afternoon Brewster,

We have not talked in a while, but I was hoping I could follow-up with
you or someone from your tech. team and schedule a 10 minute conference
call regarding access to our Catalog of Government Publications (CGP)
http://catalog.gpo.gov <http://catalog.gpo.gov/>

Background: Our infrastructure team reported to us that hosts under the
archive.org domain had some high volumes of activity in February that
nearly brought down our server. Based on continued heavy activity, we
were hoping to chat with someone from your team about coming up with a
plan that supports you and ensures continued stability of our
infrastructure and timely public access.

Below are the hits archive.org has logged recently:

156,793 hits in April 2009 (within the first five days)

613,212 March 2009

1,144,079 February 2009

I am including Laurie Hall who is the Director of our LTIS business unit
and Linda Resler who is the senior manager over the CGP within her
division.

Our objective is to work with your team to come up with some acceptable alternatives for everyone to ensure continued robust access by all users
to the CGP.

Sincerely,

Ted

--------------------------
Ted Priebe
Director, Library Planning and Development
United States Government Printing Office
Washington, DC 20401
202-512-2015
202-680-3660 mobile
xxxxxxx@gpo.gov <mailto:tpriebe@gpo.gov>

Have you visited a Federal depository library lately?

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/libraries.html
<http://www.gpoaccess.gov/libraries.html>

Easy as FDL!

Federal Depository Libraries: Free Information, Dedicated Service,
Limitless Possibilities