Message 00437: [open-gov] Re: Govt. Data and Patents

> A question:  One potential argument governments may use against open
> data such as promoted here is that private companies would then be
> able to patent ways of presenting and using the data.  That type of
> patent would then prevent the government from providing the service
> itself as a public good.
>
> Is this a valid concern?   If so, is there a stock refutation for it?

That seems like a weird concern. First, the patent could be filed even
if the data wasn't open. Second, I have trouble imagining anything
that specific that anyone would patent. Third, why would you not open
things up at all because if you did someone my prevent all of it from
being open? It's like refusing to serve your guests dinner because
you're not sure if you have wine.