Message 00014: Re: web.resource.org

Hmmm .... I had a long discussion with Brad about this.  It's the same
issue we faced when we freed lots of other databases: ITU, Patent, SEC
to name a few.  People like to sit on the sidelines and do the armchair
quarterback, but if you want to see this data liberated, somebody has
to roll up their sleeves and do the dirty work.

Here's the deal: if you want to liberate an artificially protected
database, somebody has to go do battle with MIS.  If your goal is
1000's of TLD's, the first thing you need to do is take the mystique
out of it: put the database on-line properly using non-proprietary
technologies and run it as a real service.

Once you've done that, you've punctured the balloon.  If Brad wants
to see thousands/millions of TLD's, the first thing that has to happen
is there needs to be a reference implementation.  That convinces
ICANN and the convervative factions that it can be done and it gives
the folks that want to do it a best current practices example.
"Death to ICANN" is a nice battle cry, but what if son-of-ICANN is
just as conservative?

Basically, Brad is doing the easy thing: painting a rosy picture of
the future.  I agree with his rosy picture in some respects, but I
also know that if we really believe that, it's going to take a
heavy-duty team dedicated to seeing this through.  Talk's cheap:
we're volunteering the next five years of our lives to make this
a reality.  That's why Brad and Larry should stop preaching and
see that they should be supporting us.  We need worldly philosophers,
but we also need people in court rooms and machine rooms.

Carl