Message 00831: Re: distributed filesystem

SHARDS looks really nice ... unfortunately, I'm not the right person to be
writing that letter. For things like file systems and operating systems, we're
not leading edge. I use whatever the big boys are using. I spin less than .5
petabytes in a fairly simple configuration.

The kind of people you want writing the letter are people like Paul Vixie at
ISC or Brewster Kahle at Internet Archive. Their opinion would carry much more
weight.

It does sound perfect for some of our massive video archiving things ....
brewster is doing 24x7 video recording and this sounds like exactly the kind of
thing that would make his eyes light up.

I would think there are probably some great home/soho implications to this.
I've got a half-dozen Drobo boxes that I use for staging, and one of the big
things with them is when there is a disk failure or you need to expand, it
takes forever to rebuild the file system before it is usable again. Something
where you can start ripping drives off might be a real breakthrough for that
market.

Best regards,

Carl