From: Carl Malamud <xxxxxxx@media.org>
Date: September 14, 2009 3:05:48 PM PDT
To: "Sedberry, Tom" <xxxxxxx@jw.com>
Cc: "Hamner, Judy" <xxxxxxx@jw.com>, Vickie Grant <xxxxxxx@jw.com>
Subject: Re: Internal Revenue Service

Hi -

I've redacted the following files:

http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(no issues found in this file)

http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf
(big problems)

http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf
(big problems)

http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf
(big problems in both of the above)

http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf
(this file appears to be all right)

http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf
(the above 2 files appear to have no problems)

http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf
http://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdf
(both of the above had real problems)

In addition, I've also notified "Google Webmaster Tools" and listed all of the above files in my robots.txt file. That means in a couple of days, Google will delete this information from their cache. However, other search engines such as Yahoo often take longer to update their systems.

For the files that you have problems, you should look around the net to see if other people have these files. You can do that by opening the files up, picking some names inside, and doing some searches. You can also search for the file names.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Please be very clear that there are almost surely going to be other copies of this public data that surfaces, so you're going to need to keep an eye open for quite a while. These Section 527 disks were fairly cheap, so that means you should expect anybody doing political sites to have perhaps purchased the data or retrieved it from a site such as mine.

I assume your firm is now going to manually check *EVERY SINGLE* Section 527 and Form 990 that you filed and make sure that this is not an issue for your other clients?

Best regards,

Carl