Message 00498: Fwd: Patent data re-visited

well, this is annoying.  does anybody have full text of u.s. patents from 2002 on available for general use?

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Dinesh B Vadhia" <dineshbvadhia@hotmail.com>
Date: January 13, 2009 1:56:10 AM PST
To: "Carl Malamud" <carl@media.org>
Subject: Re: Patent data re-visited

Hi Carl

This might be useful to know wrt the US patents.

The patents on http://bulk.resource.org/patent/us/ are full-Text/APS format files for the years 1976-2001 (inclusive).  These files are the complete patents.

The USPTO site ftp://ftp.uspto.gov/pub/patdata/ contains patent files for the years 2002 to 2008 BUT they are only Bibliographic patent files which are defined as the information on the front page of each patent.  I've checked a sample of these files and they are bibliographic patent files.  Additionally, from 2002 these files changed format from APS to XML.

To obtain the full-Text/XML patent files for the years 2002 to 2008 costs $1,300 per year.

Best wishes

Dinesh

Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:59 AM
Subject: Re: Patent data

ftp://ftp.uspto.gov/pub/patdata/ doesn't do it for you?

Carl