Message 00237: Re: Hyperlaw on open access to district court filings

He does, however, seem to be making a good argument with respect to the fact that inconsistent ad-hoc systems by the individual courts to publish their opinions are far inferior to a fairly simple modification to CM/ECF/PACER that simply provided free public access. Notably, the argument here is only for free public access to the *opinions* and not the full set of case documents. He is right that although in theory one should be able to access recent opinions for free via PACER, many of the documents are not flagged as such and thus incur charges.

--
Stephen Schultze
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet and Society