Message 00067: Re: job: make government data accessible and useful

On Mar 8, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Aaron Swartz wrote:

Is this a newco?

It's an open space. A few people have done the political junk (e.g., the CNET dude), there are a few sort of interesting web 2.0 plays, both for-profit and non-profit. But, nobody seems to have figured out that there is $10b/year in the U.S. alone in providing workflow solutions on top of large public domain databases (large = about 150 million pages, and very soon all 150 million of those pages are going to be visible if I get my way :).

I bet nobody on Sand Hill Road has had a credible play that goes after Thomson, Reed Elsivier, and Wolters Kluwer. You could start this with angel money and pretty quickly ratchett it up with vc's and then institutions. $.0.02.

Carl