Message 00060: loc starts uploading PD photos to flickr

http://www.loc.gov/blog/?p=233

The project is beginning somewhat modestly, but we hope to learn a lot
from it. Out of some 14 million prints, photographs and other visual
materials at the Library of Congress, more than 3,000 photos from two
of our most popular collections are being made available on our new
Flickr page, to include only images for which no copyright
restrictions are known to exist.

The real magic comes when the power of the Flickr community takes
over. We want people to tag, comment and make notes on the images,
just like any other Flickr photo, which will benefit not only the
community but also the collections themselves. For instance, many
photos are missing key caption information such as where the photo was
taken and who is pictured. If such information is collected via Flickr
members, it can potentially enhance the quality of the bibliographic
records for the images.

We're also very excited that, as part of this pilot, Flickr has
created a new publication model for publicly held photographic
collections called "The Commons." Flickr hopes?as do we?that the
project will eventually capture the imagination and involvement of
other public institutions, as well.